Mosquitoes And Other Business…
The Board of Governors and GM Barry McLaughlin hope you are enjoying your summer at Chequessett and that you are all taking advantage of some of the new activities and events we’ve introduced this season including Pickleball, social events like Thursdays At Chequessett, the Beach Club and of course, the old favorites like golf & tennis.
As we head into the heart of the summer, here are some important updates on what’s happening at the Club:
- Mosquitoes! There may finally be some relief on the way from the unprecedented mosquito problem we’ve been experiencing this summer. After a month of discussion, The Cape Cod National Seashore finally issued a permit to the Cape Cod Mosquito Control Project to treat the area in and around the Herring River Basin to help control the mosquito population. Unfortunately, the permit was not issued in time to help control the most recent emergence of the pests, however CCMCP believes that we should be seeing a “significant reduction” in the mosquito population in a couple of weeks time. Can’t come too soon! In the meantime don’t forget your bug spray.
- We now have golf carts parked in the big parking lot, which will save you a trip when you arrive at the course to unload your bags. Help yourself to a cart, load it up and be sure to check in at the Pro Shop so they will know to bring another cart up there for the next guest. Walkers coming from the big lot, please do not go through the deck with your pull cart. Please use the new golf cart path in front of the building. (We know it’s a longer walk, but you’re out there for the exercise too, right?)
- The Beach Club is open! We have new chairs, foot rests, tables and umbrellas and our Beach Club staff is ready to serve. They’ll set up your chairs, put them away when you’re done and bring you food and drinks on the beach. If you don’t want to use the Beach Club service, bring your own chairs and enjoy our beach without the hassle of parking at the town beaches. The Bar will be open and attendants at the beach will provide beverage service. https://chequessettclub.com/beach-club-opens-this-thursday-reserve-now/
- We now have lunch available on the deck seven days a week. We have pre-made sandwiches from Sam’s Deli in Eastham and hamburgers and hot dogs fresh off the grill. Don’t fight the crowds at the Bookstore – plan to grab lunch with us!
- The Member Room is open 7 days a week and is available for mah jongg, bridge, or just relaxing and checking your email. Help yourself to the snacks inside!
- Our Social Events are getting rave reviews! We had more than 130 members at the New Member Brunch, more than 100 at the first Thursday At Chequessett in the Boathouse (despite a deluge of rain!) and 165 members and guests at the Annual Clambake. Make sure to sign up for the Fire & Ice barbecue on August 1 (https://chequessettclub.com/event/family-bbq-and-bonfire/) and the Governor’s Party on August 15 (https://chequessettclub.com/event/board-of-governors-family-pizza-party/). And remember, every Thursday from 5-7 pm we’ll get together for cocktails, snacks and music in the Boathouse. Come sit at the new drink rail and enjoy the best view in Wellfleet. Make Thursdays At Chequessett your regular weekly treat! (Child care is available for all events.)
- The Annual Meeting & Election is scheduled for Aug. 19. We will elect six members to the Board of Governors and the Board’s bylaws committee will propose changes to the Club’s bylaws to be voted on at the Annual Meeting. There is still time for anyone who is interested in running for the board to throw their hat in the ring. Send a letter and resume to Shea Kinney at email@example.com by July 14. All the candidate resumes will be presented to the Nominating Committee on July 15 and their recommendations will be issued on Aug. 5.
Finally, we will finish up Phase 1 of our Capital Improvements in the coming weeks with the refurbishment of the front two hard-surface tennis courts. We are installing new fencing around the courts and they will be resurfaced as well. The expected timeline is around late July/early August and will be weather dependent for the resurfacing. We expect the courts to be closed for 7-10 days while the work is completed and will let everyone know once we have a start date.
Enjoy the rest of the summer. Any questions, comments, concerns or compliments (we love compliments!) email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy July!